When divorce happens, it affects everyone in the family, children and parents alike. Now that it has happened, it is time to move on. You as a parent, you need to take care of yourself, be strong for your children and yourself through the divorce or separation. What should you do when you find yourself in a divorce situation? At kidsafterseperation.com, you are advised to:
- Make sure to be patient with yourself, especially in the first year as it is the toughest of them all. It might take two to three years to adjust fully after the divorce happens
- Come to terms with all the feelings that are going through your head and know that it is ok to feel that way
- Make sure to get in touch with family, support groups, professionals like counselors so that you can get help
- Make sure that you take care of your health by eating and sleeping well, and getting enough exercise.
Know that divorce has closed one chapter in your life, and opened a new chapter. Work on the new chapter diligently as described at kidsafterseperation.com.
What Are Your Children Going Through
Just like you, your children have been affected terribly by the divorce. Because they don’t have the language skill or experience to express themselves about what they are feeling, they will show their grief through behavioral change which depends on their age.
- They may be in denial, not believing what has happened and having hopes of the two parents reconciling and coming back together.
- Others might react with anger and ask the parents harsh questions such as; why have you ruined my life? How comes you are getting divorced? Why you and not other parents?; why are you (the parents) being selfish and thinking about yourselves only?
- They might even start bargaining, thinking that maybe their bad behavior is what led to the break up and if they behave well, the parents might reconcile.
- Some might be depressed and feel sad and alone while others might react by not wanting to talk to anybody.
- Some take it positively, accept what has happened and accept that, although the parents are not living together, they still love them.
At kidsafterseparation.com, you will learn a lot of information about divorce and its effects on children and parents alike. Share with other parents so that they can get help on how to cope up with divorce when it strikes.